Lemon tea benefits aren’t only about having refreshing tea for your mornings, there are also many health benefits that include boosting your immune system, regulating your sugar levels, improving your heart rate, detoxifying your body, promoting healthy skin and hair, improving cognition, and also soothing pains.
There are several lemon tea benefits to health, but there are also risks and precautions of the citrus fruits. In this post, I wish to cover all of these important sides.
What is lemon tea
Lemon tea is a form of green or black tea that has lemon juice mixed in it. Adding the right quantity of lemon juice to your tea helps to rejuvenate the taste of the drink and adds color to the appearance.
This easy-to-make tea can be produced at home with a few added ingredients with your fresh lemons – depending on how you want it. For instance, lemon juice will increase the benefits you’d derive from taking caffeine black tea. There are different kinds of Chinese tea that are produced by adding whole lemon to tea leaves.
What are the benefits of lemon tea?
1. It helps to boost mental health
Lemon juice has the possibility of reducing mental illnesses and may be effective in treating anxiety disorders and Alzheimer disease. Lemon also offers a revitalizing aroma that revives mood and brings down anxiety considerably.
2. It carries out anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activity
Lemon tea is rich in vitamin C which is very effective in boosting the immune system. It is also researched to help in lowering the risk of infections, reduce inflammation, and protect against environmental oxidative stress.
Lemon also has flavonoids which is helpful in protecting against the risks of several diseases including free radicals.
3. It promotes hydration
Report by the Alliance Work Partner on the Water Quiz, men should get a minimum of 125 ounces of water while women would receive 91 ounces.
This includes water retained from drinks and food. When you add lemon to water, it helps to enhance its flavor and also make you drink more water.
4. It helps to reduce body fat
Lemon tea is helpful in burning body fat and in essence cut down on weight loss. The presence of polyphenol antioxidants in the juice is helpful in helping you cut down on weight gain.
A study carried out on mice showed lemon reduces obesity in mice that were overfed in order to induce obesity.
Studies further revealed the effect of the antioxidant compounds in lemon tea in reducing the adversity of type 2 diabetes by helping to improve insulin resistance and offsetting the negative effects on blood glucose levels.
And since lemon juice itself makes people take more water, it is one possible proof of its effect on weight loss on humans.
5. It possesses anti-aging properties
Lemon tea contains vitamin C which is rich in anti-aging properties. It helps in protecting the skin against UV-induced photo-damage. It also helps to cut down on the formation of wrinkles and stimulates collagen production.
Aside from adding lemon juice to your tea, research has also revealed that you can ingest lemons to help increase collagen content to prevent premature skin aging.
6. It may help in regulating blood sugar levels
Flavonoids available in lemon such as eriocitrin and hesperidin have been discovered to be capable of suppressing oxidative stress in diabetic rats. They are projected to be able to reduce blood sugar levels and lower possible diabetes risks. The citric acid content is also likely to prevent complications that are linked to type 2 diabetes.
7. It may help cleanse digestive tract
To achieve this, you can simply add lemon juice to warm water, and take it first thing in the morning. Aside from cleansing the digestive tract, this exercise is revealed to be effective in also boosting digestion and preventing weight gain. Ensure to avoid caffeine or caffeinated tea.
8. It may help in treating cough and soothing sore throat
Lemon tea is able to relieve you of cold, flu symptoms, and sore throat. Consider adding honey and warm water to the lemon tea before taking. It is also helpful in improving the quality of your sleep.
Should I drink lemon tea every day?
It is okay to drink lemon tea every day, but it is always important to take it moderately as excess consumption will result in some serious effects on your health.
Risks linked to lemon tea
- Heartburn: Citrus fruits can worsen the symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). So, if you take it in excess, you’ll experience irritation in your stomach and lead to acid reflux.
- Dental erosion: Acidic beverages such as lemon juice have been reported to aggravate the risks of dental erosion. Dental erosion has to do with the loss of your teeth surface as a result of acids impacted from foods and drinks, or the ones produced from your stomach. They are capable of dissolving the crystals on your teeth and result in loss of tooth surface. When taken in high concentrations, lemon tea is capable of eating away tooth enamel over time.
- Canker sores: Taking excess of the lemon juice can cause irritation of the mucous membranes and result in canker sores. It could further lead to dehydration in the body in serious cases and make canker sores even worse.
So, it is important to take caution when taking lemon juice. Especially because of the acidic content, it is important to be sure that it is safe for you before taking it.
Precautions to consider when taking lemon tea.
Lemon tea is loaded with diverse health benefits, however, it is not suitable for everyone. Here are certain precautions to consider before taking lemon tea.
- Kids are not advised to take lemon juice.
- People suffering high blood pressure should avoid regular consumption.
- Women who are either pregnant or breastfeeding are safer staying away from the citrus fruit.
- People who have irritable bowel syndrome or diarrhea should consider plain black tea instead of lemon tea.
- As a general rule, seek medical advice before consuming lemon juice. It is always better to stay safe that way.
Lemon tea is a very good option for fruits with antioxidants, anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory properties that provides you with great aroma and refreshing taste. But then, as already revealed in the article, excess consumption may be accompanied by some adverse effects on you. Simply stick to a cup or two daily for happy results.